Thursday, January 15, 2015

My 2015 Resolutions (No, they're not late.)

I never was big on New Years' resolutions. They always felt disingenuous
to me. What I do like is making resolutions on my birthday. It's more personal. It means something to me. And, friends, yesterday was that day.

So here we go: 

Resolution #1: Finish my first draft and first edit of Silver Gray [the title's going to change]. 

This is a rewrite of the first book I ever finished. The initial draft was over 200,000 words long.

Let me give you a little perspective: the average young adult book (like this one) is 55,000-70,000ish words long. We're talking something that's three times the average...and I guarantee you most of those 200,000 words are completely unnecessary. Hence: rewrite.

In fact, I'm keeping very little of the original, even down to plot. Many of the characters are sticking around though. (I spent 200,000 words getting to know them. I can't let them go now.) So even though I'm calling it a rewrite, it's more like a brand new creation.

Resolution #2: Have an idea ready to go for book #4 
Once I finish the first draft of Silver Gray, I'll need some time before I can look at it objectively enough to edit. I don't want to waste my time during the cooling phase, so I'm going to get my idea tank filled up for the next project. I have a file on my computer full of ideas already. Maybe I'll flesh out one of those, maybe I'll come up with something new. Who knows? Such wonderfully free possibilities. This resolution will probably result in me watching a lot of great documentaries (one of my favorite sources for inspiration).

Resolution #3: Secrets secrets! I can't share this one publicly (yet) but I will when the time is right.

25 years old. A quarter of a century. I plan to make it a good year.



Who doesn't love a good dragon selfie?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know you were here!